[extropy-chat] Agreement on principles. (was Microsoft)

KAZ kazvorpal at yahoo.com
Sat May 20 18:53:38 UTC 2006

----- Original Message ----
From: Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org>
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2006 7:11:51 AM
Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Agreement on principles. (was Microsoft)

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 07:42:43AM -0400, Heartland wrote:

> Look, MS Outlook/Express users are completely free to develop their own,
> alternative set of RFCs, and an alternative Internet, and leave us all in peace.
> But we built this city of rock'n'roll, and these are our rules.
> Don't like them -- don't play. End of discussion.

Surely you're using such ridiculous hyperbole consciously, as self-ridicule.

It is utterly laughable fallacy to say, in essence, "we did one thing you like, therefore you must accept everything".

A majority of the "standards" developed by such bodies has gone by the way-side, for the same reason that central planning can NEVER work better than a free market in the long run.

It is always best for the standards-setters to be nothing but suggestors, and for the free individuals of the society to always, in each case subsequently, decide the value of their musings.

I shudder to imagine the world where we submitted to each standard the "experts" expounded at us.

--
Words of the Sentient:
The government is huge, stupid, greedy and makes nosy, officious and dangerous
E-Mail: KazVorpal at yahoo.com
Yahoo Messenger/AIM/AOL: KazVorpal
MSN Messenger: KazVorpal at yahoo.com
ICQ: 1912557