[extropy-chat] Agreement on principles. (was Microsoft)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun May 21 09:18:38 UTC 2006

On Sat, May 20, 2006 at 11:53:38AM -0700, KAZ wrote:

> Surely you're using such ridiculous hyperbole consciously, as self-ridicule.
>
> It is utterly laughable fallacy to say, in essence, "we did one thing you like, therefore you must accept everything".

Surely when posting such nonsense you know how the IETF and the RFC process work. No? Then look it up.

> A majority of the "standards" developed by such bodies has gone by the way-side, for the same reason that central planning can NEVER work better than a free market in the long run.

A majority of the "laws" developed by democracies has gone by the way-side, for the same reason
that democracy can NEVER work better than a free market in the long run.

> It is always best for the standards-setters to be nothing but suggestors, and for the free individuals of the society to always, in each case subsequently, decide the value of their musings.

It is always best for the law-makers to be nothing but suggestors, and for the free individuals of the society to always, in each case subsequently, decide the value of each individual law.

> I shudder to imagine the world where we submitted to each standard the "experts" expounded at us.

I shudder to image the world where we submitted to each law the law-makers expounded on us.