[extropy-chat] no electronics at Singularity Summit???

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Mon May 22 14:34:27 UTC 2006

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 04:27:12PM -0700, Samantha Atkins wrote:

> Do not confuse critical thinking with the absence of apparent other
> activity.  I am not "distracting myself" by actively listening with a
> computer.  I note my ideas and associations and follow them nearly
> immediately  by using a computer.  Is this so difficult for you to
> understand or accept?

I think it's more that you seem to be the exception, apparently actually
using your computer the way people would use notebooks, to take notes of
what you're listening to or thinking.  A speaker might note that you
actually seemed attentive as you typed away, vs. the 90 other students
checking their e-mail during the lecture.

-xx- Damien X-)