[extropy-chat] no electronics at Singularity Summit???

MB mbb386 at main.nc.us
Tue May 23 23:36:34 UTC 2006

> I wear a bluetooth headset so I am handsfree.  If something needs
> more of my attention I tell the caller to hang on.  No big deal.

Perhaps you're talking with people who listen! Or perhaps (even more
likely) you're paying enough attention to notice when things get tricky
and to *say* something. :)

> For
> most of us around 95% of the time we are driving the actual driving
> has very little of our attention as most of the non-emergency stuff
> is largely semi-automated behavior.

I certainly agree with this! Much of driving is extremely dull.

> So I see no reason that in these
> rather boring lag times we should forego conversation with physical
> or virtually present people.

No, I don't see a problem with that either, it's the noticing of
non-boring non-lag times that makes all the difference!  Maybe you're just
a bit more on the ball than the average, you know! :)  I've been almost
run down by some "blonde on a cellphone driving an SUV" too many times for
comfort!

Regards,
MB