[extropy-chat] Freedom and Practicality

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Sun May 28 14:49:46 UTC 2006

> I do not think we're doing a very good job of maintaining even
> overall R&D.

It's certainly true that we could be doing better.

Advanced medicine, while being expensive, cannot prevent people from
> dying of old age. Our only other option is cryonics. Long-term,
> gerontology, and longer-term nanotechnology, as well as AI.

Yes, I think biotech, nanotech and AI are the areas with the highest payoff.

I do not see how we on this list can influence resource allocation
> on any of the above.

We can choose, at least, how we individually will spend our own time and
energy. (For my own modest contribution, I'm trying to figure out how to
design AI.)

For me personally, I decided to spend some of
> my time organizing local cryonics. The last time we tried this (a
> decade ago) it fizzled. We might have a better chance this time.

Good idea, I hope it works this time.