[extropy-chat] Are ancestor simulations immoral?

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Wed May 31 18:55:49 UTC 2006

On 5/31/06, A B <austriaaugust at yahoo.com> wrote:

> This depends on one factor. If this is a simulation, then either I am the
> only sentient, or there are multiple to many sentients within it (I think
> the latter would be more probable). If I am the only sentient, then I say to
> my simulators: "I would prefer not to be your unequal slave. Please liberate
> me from this simulation and allow me to live as an equal among you. If you
> are unwilling to do this, then please end my simulation forthwith and do not
> implement me again."

Now this is a somewhat unusual stance; do I understand correctly that it is
completely independent of the actual contents of the simulated world - your
subjective experiences - but depends only on the fact of conscious creation?

Switching to a different symbolism, suppose God created the world. In that
event, would you prefer God to kill you than to leave you alive? Is it the
case that you want to live in a world that was not consciously created
(whatever the nature of the world) or not at all?