[extropy-chat] Are ancestor simulations immoral?

A B austriaaugust at yahoo.com
Wed May 31 23:08:07 UTC 2006

Hi Russell,

  I can see why this might cause some confusion. No, it is not completely independent of my subjective experiences. Let's just say that I have experienced more pain in my past, than I ever care to experience again. Furthermore, the world around me seems to be quite saturated with pain experienced by other sentients. I am depending on  future beings to reduce this huge pain surplus in the world and myself, and instead replace it with subjective happiness. If this were never to happen - eg. because this is a simulation and the simulators decide to be assholes - then I would prefer not to exist at all, in the case where I was the only sentient. Assuming that I was only one sentient among many, then I would prefer to exist in order to avoid bringing pain to my family and friends that would follow my death/removal, also because I would want to be able to help reduce pain in others.

  Regarding the God question. I don't believe he exists. Let's put it this way, if this Universe as it exists now and as it has existed in the past, was created by an intelligent being, then I can only conclude that he/she/it is unacceptably cruel. My opinion only of course.

  Best Wishes,

  Jeffrey Herrlich