[extropy-chat] the self identity quest - reply to Russel Wallace

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 11:12:28 UTC 2006

On 11/5/06, Russell Wallace <russell.wallace at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/5/06, david ish shalom <davidishalom1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > *Now as for  your " if you haven't got a single person on extropy-chat
> > of all places to believe this literally constitutes personal survival, you
> > won't get anyone anywhere to believe it :)" frankly, I have got some
> > positive personal messages in the last two days,  after posting here,
> > which is encouraging* *enough.*

Now, now, now..  At the risk of opening myself up to lord knows what
objections I am willing to go on record as stating that info-identity is a
legitimate process of preserving oneself.  Most people considering
"identity" are doing so in an information constrained world (i.e. it is
impossible to copy oneself).  But this will not always be the case.  A copy
of information imprinted on 3 lbs of wet matter will not always be "unique".

So David's choice of selling point aside one has to deal with 1 = 1 = 1...
and you can apply it to the left of or to the right of as selling points but
you still have to get back to "is it identical".  I have no problem with
people treating copies of Robert as if they were Robert.

I would like to hear comments from those who would object to Robert
surrogates (copies) filling in for me.  In particular I would like to know
*who* would be so presumptuous as to claim knowing when I have been replaced
by one of my copies and how they would know  such.

1 = 1 = 1 = 1  (be it on the left or the right)

R.