[extropy-chat] The self-identity quest reply to Wallace, Corbin ..

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sun Nov 5 22:38:04 UTC 2006

David address what Russell said, and I what I said.  I'll leave Russell to deal
with his half.

>  Lee Corbin write in his article Duplicates are Self , 1988
> http://www.leecorbin.com/dupproof.html
> > "Why is it easy to believe that someone could be at the same
> > place at two different times, but very hard to believe that
> > someone could be at the same time in two different places?"
> > my point being that you can be alive in two places at the
> > same time.  One person, even.

David replies
> the reductionist theories of the self assume that If A is the original
> person and B is his duplicate, A's survival in B is maintained as
> long as they are not mutually existent!

Well, I've never heard of that, or at least I don't believe
it at all.  What in the world could the existence or non-
existence of a copy of me at Alpha Centauri have to
do with an instance here?  They cannot communicate.
If one dies, the other lives, and in either case I still live.

> Yet, this condition of not being mutually existent for
> survival to take place, will not necessarily be required
> in the future,

That's right.  But many of us on this list never required
that in the first place.  As I say, I can be alive at the
same time in two *very* different places, far outside
each other's light cone.

> since then, various manifestations of the same  person at
> the same time, like cyborg entities, virtual forms, forglet
> forms, and nano-engineered manifestation and other forms,
> does not impede these selves being one and the same
> person, as long as these various manifestations are
> synchronously info-connected and thus keeping the same
> diachronic identity.

I don't think that they need to be connected in this way.
Duplicates are selves already.

Lee