[extropy-chat] The self-identity quest reply to Wallace, Corbin ..

david ish shalom davidishalom1 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 15:50:08 UTC 2006

"Russell Wallace write: I'll add that while I still don't believe you'll get
enough detail to constitute personal immortality, this idea does have the
virtue that you can do it incrementally. Start now with all the text, video,
audio etc you can create. Add information as it becomes available. When
personal DNAn sequencing becomes affordable, do that and add the sequence.
Get a brain scan at highest available resolution (even if not close to
uploading-grade)and put that on the site. When higher resolution becomes
available, get

another one. Etc"  David reply: Russel what you say is important and also
remember that in ten years +- vivid and convincing simulation of real people
in the cyber space will be available and people will tend to simulate
themselves and to improve that simulations with time, until when conscious
personalized AI will emerge, that high fidelity simulations, enhanced
virtual humans, and at the same time retain all the relevant information of
their past self, these people will  wake up, even if their original has
already demised, to be the first info-survived personalities, the first
info-resurrected ones. I argue that these persons with their unimaginable
capabilities and powers will have to exercise high moral code, much higher
than in our present Darwinian stage, for the safety and wellbeing  of old
humanity and the imminent singularity. more about it in
http://davidishalom1.googlepages.com/home

 Lee Corbin write in his article Duplicates are Self , 1988
http://www.leecorbin.com/dupproof.html "Why is it easy to believe that
someone could be at the same place at two different times, but very hard to
believe that someone could be at the same time in two different places?
..... So why do they always find "being in two places at the same time"
extraordinarily counter-intuitive?  … "They will claim, for example, that
minor differences accumulated in the last minute are crucial, conveniently
forgetting that the remote duplicate is "closer" to them than is the person
they were yesterday."…"but that night a merging process copies 'your'
memories of the day into 'his' brain and 'his' memories into 'yours'

David Ish-Shalom reply: the reductionist theories of the self assume that If
A is the original person and B is his duplicate, A's survival in B is
maintained as long as they are not mutually existent! Yet, this condition of
not being mutually existent for survival to take place, will not necessarily
be required in the future, since then, various manifestations of the
same  person
at the same time, like cyborg entities, virtual forms, forglet forms, and
nano-engineered manifestation and other forms, does not impede these selves
being one and the same person, as long as these various manifestations are
synchronously info-connected and thus keeping the same diachronic identity.
Synchronous connection is achieved when human and machines *are online broad
band,  connected such as all the various experiences are online recalled and
merged to all of them at the same time or even once a day as you mention.
This support your view, in the future we will be able to be one and many at
the same time, as long as  we are synchronously connected*.

 Lee writes: "Yes, that's necessary, but it may not be sufficient.  My
solution, which I've said quite a few times on this list but which you
probably have not heard, is to give previous versions of yourself ample
runtime.  …..But there is also a strong psychological motivation:  just why
will future versions of you bother running such an ancient and decrepit
fetal version of themselves?  The answer is, as I call it, "the logic of
cryonics".  Namely, we reanimate those who are frozen so that when the time
comes we are ourselves reanimated. It proceeds by (mathematical) induction.
 Your vast future self (who hardly resembles you but who has the most power)
will see this logic, and if he (it) evilly denies you runtime, then by the
same logic he'll be denied runtime by even more advanced versions. So we
must vigorously push this meme:  All previous versions---that we can  fix or
capture---are to get runtime so long into the future as we or our future
versions shall live." David reply:  Basically I agree with you about that
point and even suggest something similar in my methodology of reanimation,
to firstly reanimate the old selfhood – enough runtime -  but with built-in
drive to shortly after second wake-up to launch the transformation project
thus retaining securely most of the past experience, abilities and
limitation, but as well strongly facilitating the most important
augmentation project to turn into post humans.**