[extropy-chat] Detectives and red herrings (was Survivaltangent)

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 21:56:23 UTC 2006

> Of course, it's a matter of degree, but:  change your beliefs,
>
> But isn't it an exaggeration to say that who you were at 16 was not
> the same person that you were at 13?  Identity consists of more than
> just beliefs, even in your case, wouldn't you agree?

I think the matter of degree is illustrated between the comparison of the 16
year old to his 'current' self vs. his 13 yr old self.  The
moment-to-moement change in state is negligible compared to the net effect
of 3 years worth of changes.  It seems a problem arises when the absolute
change from moment to moment is regarded as two different identities, with
the whole "killing your earlier self" craziness.

I see the definition of self inclusive of the entire time dimension as
inherent to object model being examined.  Comparing PI models at t=1 vs t=2
or t=3600 is as arbitrary and confusing as talking about the artistic value
of a painting at x=0, y=0 vs x=1, y=1.  So if the PI model includes the
temporal dimension, isn't the model going to be inherently inclusive of the
process of state-change?

(I haven't even started thinking about the various clone situations in this
context)