[extropy-chat] Origin of Wars

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sun Nov 19 04:09:26 UTC 2006

Chris writes

> Lee Corbin wrote:
>>
>> there are just too many damn wars in which
>> population pressure was not a cause.
>
> Wouldn't the important factor involve whether the indicators of
> "population pressure in the EEA" were themselves present in the
> pre-war/war scenario, independently of the cause of those indicators?

I'm having trouble parsing your sentence. Please correct me if
the following is an incorrect re-phrasing.

Question: Might it not be important whether "Population pressure
               in the EEA", or at least the indicators of such pressure,
               are present before the start of wars?

Absolutely!   That is, the kinds of indicators, or conditions, actually
present in the EEA that fostered intertribal conflict are either
present before the start of a modern war, or they are not.

I claim that although actual stomach-gnawing hunger is seldom
any longer present before the start of modern wars, analogous
resource shortages *sometimes* are the indeed the basic causes
of a some wars, e.g., Japan was running out of oil in 1941.

Lee