[extropy-chat] Origin of Wars

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Sun Nov 19 04:13:02 UTC 2006

At 04:43 PM 11/18/2006 -0800, you wrote:
>Robert writes (Sent: Friday, November 17, 2006 9:39 AM)
>
> > On 11/17/06, Keith Henson wrote:
>
> > > Wars were the evolved hunter gatherer mechanism
> > > for keeping the human population in bounds that
> > > could be supported by the ecosystem.
>
>I think that Keith has a very good, but hardly unique,
>description of the basic process. I'm conjecturing that
>no description so far postulated here, however, covers
>all the known cases. For example, there are just too many
>damn wars in which population pressure was not a cause.

I define population pressure in the post stone age as falling income per
capita or (perhaps more important) the future prospects of falling income
per capita.  I am not aware of a war where (if you looked) this was not the
situation.   Which wars do you offer as being cases where there was rising
income per capita and bright economic future?  (For the side that started
the war.)

snip

Keith