[extropy-chat] Suicide the Green way

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 17:40:17 UTC 2006

On 11/19/06, spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Actually Zach, this is not correct.  You *produce* exactly *no* carbon.

[snip one of Spike's extensive BotE calculations indicating he must be
seeking to exercise that part of his mind...]

It isn't whether or not Zach is producing or not producing carbon that is
the question.  Its the form it ends up in (CO2, CH4, CaCO3, C, etc.) and
*where* that form effectively resides.  Currently the economic environment
(esp. human activity) is oriented around taking carbon stored in relatively
benign forms underground and transforming it into non-benign forms in the
atmosphere.  The contribution of humans to atmospheric greenhouse gas
concentrations far exceeds the Sun's contribution.

Now, if you are really bored Spike, we can go back to the "How much mass
could we have landed on Pluto at sufficiently low velocity that it would
have remained in a functional state?" question.  If the Israeli's are doing
R&D on developing bee sized robots that can observe (and potentially kill)
terrorists, then one has to return to the question of whether or not we
could have delivered a "bee orbiter" to Pluto?

You don't get away with throwing away $400M (or whatever New Horizons cost)
*that* easily.

Robert