[extropy-chat] Rational thinking

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Thu Nov 30 20:10:41 UTC 2006

Lee Corbin wrote:

> Okay, I presently consider "rationality" (scare quotes fully intended) to
> be an instrument which, like fire or the wheel, can be used for human
> well-being or against human well-being.  The Nazis, for example, were
> extremely rational in their decision making for a Final Solution to some
> nagging questions bothering them, given their values. However, *having*
> rationality or being able to deploy it gives us an opportunity to rise
> above the animal level and go on pure gut reaction alone.
>
> Those Founders deployed their rationality to good effect; the Nazis
> obviously did not.  But that was not the question.

Um, no human being is "rational" which may be one reason why I declined
to provide a definite answer to your question.  There's varying degrees
of rationality on many different levels.  For example, the Final
Solution originators (Godwin alert ding ding ding) seem to have been
heavily into pagan mythology, if I recall correctly.  They had a number
of beliefs about biological superiority that were, as a matter of simple
fact, false.  Were there motives what they would have been if they had
possessed an epistemologically veridical view of the word?

Of course the same question can be leveled at the Founders, many of whom
undoubtedly believed that their personal moralities were endorsed by a
sky fairy.  But I don't believe in a sky fairy, and I do believe in
freedom of speech, so the question is still out on that one.

>>going by historical records of the debates that went on at the
>>Constitutional Convention, and by their existence as literate,
>>politically active aristocrats of that day and age.
>
> Yes. But the question still remains, When they put their own lives
> at great risk, were they being rational, and how exactly is that
> fundamentally different from the case of the kamikazes?
>
> (It's Obvious to Me  /  What the Answer should Be    :-)

Maybe I'm reading too much into your question - assuming that you were
looking for a nonobvious answer.  I thought you acknowledged that human
beings can have interests (components in their utility function) beyond
their own self-preservation.  So there's no particular reason, it seems
to me, that we should assume the Founders had lower-than-usual
rationality for their day and age (which is a pretty low bar by our
standards) and equally it would be anachronistic to assume them as
skilled Bayescrafters.  So I really don't understand what you're getting
at here, but maybe you're just fishing for the obvious answer, "They
sacrificed themselves for different ends, and rationality is neutral
about the question of self-sacrifice as such."