[extropy-chat] mathimatical model for the singularity

ps udoname ps.udoname at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 19:20:25 UTC 2006

Ray Kurzweil seems too simplistic to be again, and statements like ' the
singularity will happen in 2029' are FAR too accurate. Better to be like
Vinge and give intervals like 2005-2030.
Anyway, what I was thinking is you could start with a S=e^kt (S=scientific
progress), and then modify it so that k is a function of intelligence rather
then a constant, and intelligence is a function of S.
For simplicite's sake, dS/dt = kS becomes dS/dt=(cS+ N)S (c is a constant
denoting how quickly science incereaces intelligence, N is the natural
intelligence of a hunter gather)
 dS/dt=(cS+N)S

Which solves as :

S=N/((e^-Nt)-c)     (these are new values of N and c which have been
multiplied by another constant)

Which looks like S=Ne^Nt at first, and then has an asyptope at t=
-(ln(c))/N.

And the entire reason why the singularity is called the singularity is that
is has an asymtope, which is somthing s-curves lack.