[extropy-chat] TRENDS: Email is so yesterday

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 02:36:29 UTC 2006

On 10/5/06, Neil H. <neuronexmachina at gmail.com> wrote:

> Have you tried gmail? It does at least the first part of what you
> describe, integrating IM and email.

Yes.  I am using gmail now.  Gmail is sill beta.  It probably always will
be.  Not because it isn't good enough, but because to leave beta would
require the tedious part of finishing a project.  So as long as Gmail, chat,
etc are all 'open' and in beta status, they new features do not have to be
impact tested before deployment.  I think this is bad because google has
enough influence to set the standard for others to follow.  I don't believe
this is good behavior.  Those who defend Google do not want to here anything
negative, and those who would likely agree with me just don't really care
that much about it.  (As I myself do not care much past pointing out the
observation with no intention of making it my 'cause')

As Eugen pointed out, none of it really matters that much.  Do what you want
to do.  Use the right tool for the job.  It doesn't matter if someone else
likes their tool more.  It reminds me of the PC vs Mac dichotomy.  Mac is
trying to defend their superiority in a war that PC users have mostly
stopped fighting 10 years ago.  Computers are consumer appliances much like
TV, microwaves or air conditioners.  When the one you have doesn't work like
you think it should, you replace it - probably with whatever is the best
'deal' you can find that week.  Beyond the question of whether or not the
machine provides the service you want, it makes no difference who produces
it.