[extropy-chat] Probability of identity, or "Am I missing your point entirely?"

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Wed Oct 11 03:17:00 UTC 2006

Russell Wallace wrote:

	On 10/11/06, Jef Allbright <jef at jefallbright.net> wrote:
	It seems like you're imagining some kind of Self that can be
spread out over multiple instances.  To me it seems almost a problem of
semantics, but reflecting a misconception of reality:  A point of view
is a result of the processes producing it, not something that observes
the show from some privileged position.  Or am I missing your point
entirely? ;-)

	Or I'm missing yours, or we're both missing each other's :)
Let's see if I can try and get a handle on yours...

	You seem to be saying that the self is an illusion, that one can
say e.g. about seeing the sun rise tomorrow that infinitely many people
will, infinitely many people won't, and the ratio is (some large
number):1, but any statement that "_I_ will see the sun rise tomorrow"
is meaningless verbiage, or at best a metaphor for an imperfect picture
of objective reality. That my paradox only looks like a paradox because
I'm stressing the flimsy word "self" beyond its limits, and where it
seems to generate a contradiction between the objective and subjective
viewpoints, the subjective one is an illusion that should be ignored. Is
that a correct paraphrase of your position?

You're really losing me here.  The common theme I'm seeing is that you
seem to be talking about applying events outside a system (the
observations of other independent observers) as if they have some effect
on  the output of that particular system (a particular observer).

I will say with certainty, and in the same sense as my earlier comments,
perception of the sun "rising" is an illusion.  ;-)

- Jef
<Who feels he's reached his limit in this public forum for this day, and
wishes he had something better than Outlook Quotefix when responding to
HTML message on the Internet.>