[extropy-chat] Doomsday argument

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Oct 16 07:01:58 UTC 2006

On Sun, Oct 15, 2006 at 10:27:20PM -0400, George Dvorsky wrote:

> Self-sampling most definitely gives strength to the Doomsday Argument.

I find it interesting that so many subscribe to the SSA religiously.
You don't have any degrees of freedom at all in this experiment
of self-observation.

> The fact that I find myself as an individual in pre-Singularity

Wherever you go, there you are. You're not an omniscient
external observer, randomly picking items from the same
reference class. You're only observing an infinitely self-biased
sample of one: yourself.

> existence is a very troubling observation, particularly given the

I only find it troubling, that people are taking number games
religiously.

> assumption that there should be far more post-Singularity individuals
> than in a pre-Singularity civ. It also indicates that the most probable
> observation of a civ is pre-Singularity and not post, a possible
> indicator that there are no post-Singularity civs.

Only if you build on invalid premises.