[extropy-chat] "Cool computer program"

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Thu Oct 19 15:50:53 UTC 2006

On Oct 17, 2006, at 4:40 PM, Emlyn wrote:

> I love this list, people are too cool to be amazed by anything. Also
> might have to do with people knowing waaay too much to be surprised
> very often.
>
> Apologies for the stupid subject, btw, that was the subject line for
> the vid on youtube, and there was no context to where it came from.
>
> I really want one of those whiteboards!

I can see, as I expect many here can, how to write the software to
drive such a thing given a touch screen and its drivers.  Step away
from it being a touch screen and consider much the same thing drawn
with a mouse and it becomes much less mysterious.

But yeah,  I would love one of these to play with.  There used to be
these screens you could mount on your computer display that would give
you a touchscreen.  I wonder if they still make those.  In principle
the same technology could be laid over any surface, calibrated and fed
into a computer.   The old ones were a bit simplistic in that they
only tracked one point at a time.  But that is how almost all mouse
driven GUIs work.

- s