[extropy-chat] Tyranny in place

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 02:49:07 UTC 2006

On 10/1/06, Joseph Bloch <transhumanist at goldenfuture.net> wrote:
> I am appalled at your ignorance as to what an Islamist is.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamism will provide a starting point.
> http://www.jihadwatch.org will yield a wealth of further information.
> And as far as their having no power to attain their ends, I direct your
> attention to their successful usurpation of a sovereign nation
> (Afghanistan), and their ongoing attempts to repeat that feat in other
> nations (Afghanistan again, Iraq, Somalia, Indonesia, Pakistan, et al).

Your use of the term 'usurpation' is faulty.  The countries you list
are  all Muslim nations with a long history of foreign intrusion --
European invasion, conquest, subjugation, and exploitation (sanitized
in  Western political mythology with the term "colonialism").  When
the locals -- Muslims all -- turn to their one durable and respected
cultural institution,  their faith/mosques/clerics, seeking security
and stability, it's hardly usurpation. It's more like genuine
democracy.

> If they can take over one nation, and have a credible shot at taking
> over others, then they are a threat that must be addressed.

When people who have been invaded and assaulted, defend themselves,
they become "terrorists".  When they prove to have the audacity, the
grit, and the military talent to win, then they become "a threat".
And to think that they would dare to assert themselves in this manner
in their own country....  Have they no respect for the neocon
declaration of world dominion!?  Don't they know who's in charge?!
Have these backward peoples not yet learned the crucial mantra of
obeisance, to wit: "How high?"

This is the twisted criminal logic of reality-challenged neocon
war-mongers and their craven and obsequious Republican(and Democrat)
base.

> And if you
> don't think Iran's ongoing attempts to secure the ability to produce
> nuclear weapons are part of this threat,

Iran has invaded no one.  Iran has been invaded and abused(an
exceedingly mild term for what they've had to endure at the hands of
the West), their moderate, secular, democratically-elected government
overthrown by the CIA (which is to say the US political elite),
replaced with a brutal tyrant, who on behalf of the US, savaged his
own people and looted their national treasure.  Then, when those
Islamists --the same ones you seek to demonize -- rescued the nation
(with a spot of help from terminal cancer/mother nature) from the
quarter century of depredations at the hands of enemies foreign and
domestic, those foreign enemies (the US political elite) then throw
their support behind Saddam Hussein in his unprovoked, opportunistic
war of aggression against them.  A war in which WMD's are employed,
millions of innocent Iranians are killed (murdered might be an apt
term to use here), and billions in national treasure are lost in
defending the country.

No people/country on the planet is more justified in seeking the
credible deterrence offered by nuclear weapons.  **They** are the ones
who are threatened, and the US power elite are the threat.  So, you
see, you've got it turned precisely around.  Not surprising from one
who has drunk deep of the American exceptionalist Kool-aid.

> then I must conclude that you
> are simply so blinded by your partisanship

It is you sir that is blinded by partisanship.

> threat until you are faced with a law requiring the burqa in California
> (if then).

> >> The goal of the Islamists; a global Caliphate...

,,,Is indeed so silly a fear-mongering fantasy that it simultaneously
embarrasses and and disqualifies whoever puts it forth from being
taken seriously.

> ... this nation really does face an external threat of
> hitherto-unseen proportions.

This is reality-challenged.

> It's not about people in power in the U.S.

Yes, it exactly is.

> And, for the record, I am well aware of, and highly concerned about, the
> Dominionist movement, but I daresay that a handful of well-connected
> Dominionists don't quite rise to the level of threat posted by millions
> of Islamists inspired by their ridiculous faith (as all faiths are
> ridiculous) to impose their vision of their faith on every single human
> being on this planet by deadly force, and being willing to kill
> themselves to advance that goal.
>
> Unless I have somehow missed the hordes of Baptist suicide bombers

Indeed, the Baptists don't advocate suicide bombing, they advocate
homicide bombing.
--
Best, Jeff Davis

               "Everything's hard till you