[extropy-chat] [psl at acm.org: ACTION ALERT: Blackwell purgedOhio Voter Rolls Oct 1st.- Vote Early!]

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 16:45:11 UTC 2006

On 10/21/06, spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> I wonder why they are not using such systems, or something to increase the
> voter confidence in elections.  Do the election people not realize that
> lack
> of confidence in the election process is becoming an ever more serious
> problem?  Is it not a damn serious threat to democracy?

They aren't using the systems because there isn't much of a demand for it.

In case you haven't been watching the numbers the overall opinion of
politicians as a whole in the U.S. is the lowest it has been in decades.
I'm guessing the general consensus is that the special interests have
hijacked the process and there isn't an easy way out.  Electoral fraud is
considered a small problem because the general perception is that one is
merely exchanging one set of bums for another set of bums.  When the debate
is about which bums are worse interest begins to fade quite rapidly.

If you wanted to significantly improve the system you should push for
constitutional changes for term limits.  As things stand now the people who
have been reelected the most have far too much power.

The threat to democracy is in large part coming from Washington lobbyists --
not the voting booths.

Robert