[extropy-chat] FW: The Drake Equation and Spatial Proximity

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 22 23:11:14 UTC 2006

Forwarded for Amara Angelica:

  _____

From: Amara D. Angelica [mailto:amaraa at gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, October 22, 2006 1:31 PM
To: 'spike'
Subject: FW: [extropy-chat] The Drake Equation and Spatial Proximity

  _____

From: Amara D. Angelica [mailto:amaraa at gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2006 3:47 PM
To: 'ExI chat list'

AB: 210 extrasolar planets have been found, according to the The Extrasolar
Planets Encyclopaedia,  <http://exoplanet.eu/catalog.php>
http://exoplanet.eu/catalog.php; or 197, according to JPL,
<http://planetquest1.jpl.nasa.gov/atlas/atlas_index.cfm>
http://planetquest1.jpl.nasa.gov/atlas/atlas_index.cfm, which links to a
database that may be useful, and could overlayed on
<http://www.anzwers.org/free/universe/w50lys.gif>
www.anzwers.org/free/universe/w50lys.gif and other maps at
<http://www.anzwers.org/free/universe> http://www.anzwers.org/free/universe.
PlanetQuest is developing a "star catalog" that may also be useful when
available,  <http://www.planetquest.org> http://www.planetquest.org. Also
see "Detecting New Planets"
<http://www.seti.org/site/pp.asp?c=ktJ2J9MMIsE&b=179076>
http://www.seti.org/site/pp.asp?c=ktJ2J9MMIsE&b=179076.

In "SPECTRAL EVOLUTION OF AN EARTH-LIKE PLANET,"
<http://arxiv.org/ftp/astro-ph/papers/0609/0609398.pdf>
http://arxiv.org/ftp/astro-ph/papers/0609/0609398.pdf, Harvard and JPL
astronomers report that they have established a model for the Earth's
atmosphere and detectable biomarkers over the lifetime of the Earth.
"Observations of these features on an exoplanet should be able to place an
Earth-like planet with regard to its evolution. Knowledge of those features
will help to optimize the design of proposed instruments to search for
Earth-like planets. If an exoplanet is found with a corresponding spectrum,
we will have good evidence for characterizing its evolutionary state, its
habitability, and the degree to which it shows signs of life."

Regarding the Fermi paradox,
<http://www.seti.org/site/pp.asp?c=ktJ2J9MMIsE&b=179077>
http://www.seti.org/site/pp.asp?c=ktJ2J9MMIsE&b=179077 and
<http://www.space.com/searchforlife/seti_thursday_060720.html>
http://www.space.com/searchforlife/seti_thursday_060720.html have
interesting discussions. I don't understand why it's a paradox if we've only
explored a miniscule portion of the search space (number of stars,
percentage of time they are observed, EIRP range, frequency range, signal
modulation schemes, etc.), based on an unpublished study of search space I
did a few years ago. Comments?

Robert: regarding invisibility of post-Singularity civilizations (I assume
this refers to the transition from RF to more efficient communication
schemes?), this would not, of course, apply to communications with other
solar systems or galaxies, which could be significant. It might be
interesting to look at the Harvard/JPL data and think about what spectral
characteristics might be specific to post-Singularity civilizations,
including post-ecophage civilizations.

I am currently researching information on active SETI (
<http://www.seti.org/site/pp.asp?c=ktJ2J9MMIsE&b=179532>
http://www.seti.org/site/pp.asp?c=ktJ2J9MMIsE&b=179532) and welcome any
correspondence on this subject.

  _____