[extropy-chat] ENVY (was: humor: evil eye)

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Tue Oct 31 04:49:07 UTC 2006

Spike writes

> Yesterday the local bookstore had Richard Dawkins as a guest for a lecture
> and book signing.  An excellent talk it was, a most wonderful time was this.
> The usual transhumanist suspects met for dinner afterwards.  Since the talk
> was about superstition, it seemed appropriate that Amara showed us a good-
> luck talisman known as the Evil Eye.  It was a curious object that actually
> looked a bit like an eye.  I was unclear on what it meant to give someone
> the Evil Eye until she pointed out that the object actually functions to
> scare away evil spirits,

Historically, the "Evil Eye" is the evil eye of envy. Our book group is reading
Helmut Schoek's book "ENVY".   Alas because so many of us here are so---
dare I invoke the wrath of the gods by boasting?---pretty much above envy,
it is enormously difficult to consider what a powerful force it truly appears to
be in the world.

Depending in a yet unknown-way (to me) on spatial and temporal distribution!

Evidently Americans tend to be more free from envy than others (witness the
line in the Oklahoma song "Everything's going my way..."), and modern people
far more free than our ancestors. But what is the distrubution???
Are young Germans today freer of malicious envy that their forefathers?
Is England truly in a much worse situation envy-wise because of the heavy
influence of the class structure?   Are Californians more free from envy than
other Americans?  Are Arizonans even freer than Californians?  (I have
very meagre evidence that these things are true.)  And is it practically an
*unconscious conspiracy* among modern sociologists and anthropologists,
as the author contends, to ignore the powerful phenomenon of (malicious)
envy?

(I have to use "malicious envy" rather than just envy because Amercans (and
other English speakers?) are prone to say things like "I sure am envious of
your new car" when all they're really expressing is admiration.)

Lee