[extropy-chat] Just curious, it's not natural!

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Tue Oct 31 06:42:21 UTC 2006

Robert writes

> think of it in fundamental terms -- survival and reproduction --
> no survival = no reproduction; no reproduction = no survival.
> All of the rest of it is layered on top of that.  Tribes -- promote
> survival and reproduction.  Marriages (or families) -- promote
> survival and reproduction.  Religions -- promote survival and
> reproduction.  Political parties -- promote survival and reproduction.

Superb summary!  No kidding!   I could hardly fail to disagree less!

> Humanity is in the process of transitioning from survival and
> reproduction at the gene level to survival and reproduction at
> the body level to survival and reproduction at the tribe level to
> survival and reproducation at the meme level.

Let me rephrase that (or into today's most fashionable jargon: "unpack" it).

Humanity is in the process of transitioning from (gene survival + reproduction)
to (body survival + reproduction) to (tribe survival + reproduction) to, finally,
(meme survival + reproduction).

But what happened to *me* in there?   I'm more than my memes, pal.
Don't forget my memories.

> As the rate of change increases (the singularity) it is likely that only
> those who adopt the path of greatest flexibility will survive.
> You must be willing to give up everything you are for what you might
> become:  Unfortunately very very few individuals in the world today
> grasp this -- they are more concerned with being who or what they
> "are" than simply "being".

That's me, maybe.  I don't want to "become", especially if the end
product is not me.  I would rather "are".  As you put it.

Secondly, if the Singularity tarries, there won't be any people,
me or like me either one, you or like you,  señor  Bradbury.
La ilaha ila Allah; Muhammadur-rasul Allah.

Lee