[extropy-chat] new mersenne prime?

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 4 23:18:09 UTC 2006

Whoa.  We have an early report of a new Mersenne prime discovered this
morning.  Confirmation is underway, 44th if confirmed.  If true, my
time-based prediction model has gotten stupid-lucky four times in a row,
with compensating errors accounting for the last two successes.  In those
last two, the GIMPS growth rate has been slower than I predicted and the
tightness of the latest cluster is beyond bizarre.

Stand by, I will have word back in about 10 days.  I don't even know if it
is one of the 10 million digit primes yet (worth 100k$), but my model shows
only about a 30% chance that it is.  I can't explain it.  Just too weird.