[extropy-chat] internet search privatizer

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 6 01:32:34 UTC 2006

Hey cool, this is an idea I posted a couple years ago.  Your privacy is
protected by having a searchbot post a bunch of phony searches, hiding your
real internet searches in piles of phony data:

Internet Tool Generates Fake Searches to Protect Privacy

They finish with this comment:

"...[TrackMeNot) is also not foolproof. Someone knowing the list of terms
TrackMeNot uses can simply strip those records out of the databases.
Developers say they are working on expanding the list."

Easy solution I say.  Search, choose a random site out of the top 10, then
randomly choose 3 words from that site to form the next search.  Repeat once
a minute as long as the screen saver is running.  I challenge the snoops to
figure out the genuine searches among the thousands of searches thus
generated.

We could also generate random email traffic from random sentences or
paragraphs selected from our inboxes, emailed to recipients with prearranged
spam filtering.  Thus our email history could be buried in reams of
meaningless bits.  It would require a human agent or human equivalent
intelligence to distinguish the real email from the randomly generated
variety.