[extropy-chat] internet search privatizer

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 02:52:42 UTC 2006

This is a monumental waste of resource.  I realize the current cost of
bandwidth is negligible whether it is utilized 100% or not at all.  Net
neutrality may change that.  Are you willing to pay for the extra cost of
the "phony data" in an effort to minimize your search signal to noise
ratio?  Do you believe that the resources that can be applied to
heuristically separate the wheat from the chaff are not already powerful
enough to make this a trivial exercise?  If Google/Your-search-engine isn't
already doing it, then a group of merely curious open-source developers
running a distributed cluster project do it for fun - or the us government
decides to feed this stream of garbage to carnivore simply because it has
nothing better to do.

My $0.02 on this problem is to return to the anonymity we had as a faceless
crowd.  If we all were running client software to allow open relay through
everyone else running the client, there would never be a single point of
identity.  Of course if this technique were proven truly effective, it would
also be illegal just to run the client.