[extropy-chat] Sustainability philosophy as a justification for existence

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Tue Sep 5 01:16:40 UTC 2006

Spike wrote:

> You see a list
> of processes, most of which you didn't ask for and don't know anything
> about, and are not working for you.  In a very real sense, those
processes
> are competing with each other for run time.  Some mysterious process
in
> the
> operating system is deciding which process gets the cycles, without
> consulting you, even tho you are paying the power bill.  Some of those
> processes may be viruses or inadvertently downloaded advertising.
This is
> very much in line with my understanding of evolution.

I think "synergetics" (with apologies to Bucky Fuller)is an apt term to
describe the more general process, including stellar conversion of H to
He and later generation of heavier elements, pre-biological efficacious
arrangements of molecules, DNA-based biological evolution, human
cultural development, and imminent non-biological organisms and
superorganisms.

- Jef