[extropy-chat] the RBL racket

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Sep 11 06:57:23 UTC 2006

On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 07:22:27AM +0100, Russell Wallace wrote:

>    You'd put a man in _prison_ for typing words on a computer keyboard?

But spammers don't do that. They break into people's
computers, and install malware. They steal resources
from their victims. They're also disrupting communication,
and give a bad name to a perfectly good medium.
People's time is worth a lot, whether private, or
corporate.

>    That puts you over the line, I'm afraid.
>    Sorry, but there are limits. This transgresses them.

I disagree. I would give life sentence to particularly
egregious cases. If I do damage to the economy to the
tune of 50 gigabucks, why shouldn't I go to jail?