[extropy-chat] the RBL racket

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Mon Sep 11 07:39:46 UTC 2006

Russell Wallace wrote:
> On 9/11/06, *Eliezer S. Yudkowsky* <sentience at pobox.com
> <mailto:sentience at pobox.com>> wrote:
>
>     3)  On your private property, screaming out advertisements for your used
>     cars, at 2AM, using a 110-decibel bullhorn.
>
> ...but no, I wouldn't be so extraordinarily cruel and evil as to put a
> man in prison for that either. I might very well go and challenge him to
> a fistfight if he didn't go away, and expect the law to find I was
> adequately provoked. But prison, no.

So now you're resorting to vigilante violence and expecting society to
socially sanction it?  Instead of having a written legal system where
people can look up what is prohibited?

Russell, someone can disagree with you about what "crosses the line"
without being a horrible, horrible person.  Do you understand the
principle behind stare decisis, respecting precedents?  It's that the
law has to be *predictable*.