[extropy-chat] the RBL racket

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 07:56:58 UTC 2006

On 9/11/06, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky <sentience at pobox.com> wrote:

Okay, I'll answer these parts too...

So now you're resorting to vigilante violence

Actually I have never in my life resorted to vigilante violence.

and expecting society to
> socially sanction it?  Instead of having a written legal system where
> people can look up what is prohibited?

Nor have I advocated that.

Russell, someone can disagree with you about what "crosses the line"
> without being a horrible, horrible person.

Yeah. Frankly, I ran out of patience with the original poster after having
repeatedly and patiently explained to him why his suggestions aren't morally
or ethically acceptable. Go back and check my posts - I was far more damned
patient than anyone else.

Do you understand the
> principle behind stare decisis, respecting precedents?  It's that the
> law has to be *predictable*.

Of course. Do you understand that the law also has to be _just_? More
importantly in this context, do you also understand the slippery slope
principle? Do you really think you would still be permitted to speak your
opinions in the ultimate version of the principle that the government can
decide what you are allowed to type?