[extropy-chat] the RBL racket

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 07:52:22 UTC 2006

On 9/11/06, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky <sentience at pobox.com> wrote:

> I suspect scope neglect on your part - all those zeroes in the part
> about "slightly annoying a hundred million people" just glazing over in
> your vision.  Slightly annoying 1e8 humans probably adds more negative
> hedonic to the universe than one prison sentence; moreover, a
> prospective prison sentence may stop many such incidents.  The question
> is about rights and freedom, not hedonic balance.

I'll answer this one because it's the relevant part.

And I'll answer it with a repeat of what I said last time, which _you_
passed over:

Do you understand what ends up happening when you permit your goverment to
put a man in prison because it didn't like what he typed on his computer
keyboard? Hint: It's not "things end up the way Eliezer wants them".

(Oh, you also passed over the fact that Gmail handles spam just fine,
falsifying the last part of your message. But that's really not important.
If there were no spam filters, I'd be saying precisely the same thing. Do
you understand what you're saying when you advocate _prison_ as a remedy for
_bytes of data_?)