[extropy-chat] Hypocrisy and Preaching (was The great global warming swindle)

Thomas Thomas at thomasoliver.net
Sat Apr 7 20:17:26 UTC 2007

Anna Taylor wrote:

>[...]  ### I prefer to reserve the word "hypocrite" to
>somebody falsely claiming to have certain moral
>beliefs with the aim of manipulating others for his
>ends.
>
>I guess that's the underlying question.  Is Mr. Gore
>doing more good than bad?  Although I am not naive
>enough to believe that his intentions are 100% honest
>and sincere and i'm sure along the way he will use it
>to his advantage yet at the same time, with the same
>means, he is making aware an important issue that may
>not have been widely spread.
>
>I not really sure what is better!  At what point does
>manipulation play a role in benefiting others?  Thank
>you for bringing up the subject, it has giving me
>things to think about.
>
>Anna:)

Manipulation disrespects the will of others and would not look
beneficial to these others.  So, I think it reduces the "general
gratification" index.  Acting to affirm the will of all (or as many as
possible) affords a more direct approach and increases wealth.  I look
for leaders who respect and protect individual choice.  Acting according
to the self determinism of all creates unity and efficiency and avoids
compulsion and violence.  I admit a tax funded system doesn't foster
such skills, but we can look for such leaders in areas where people earn
their way trading positive values with voluntary buyers.  -- Thomas