[extropy-chat] Personal Identity Bis

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Wed Apr 11 03:34:08 UTC 2007

Stathis writes

> > (Where I went on to disagree with *most* of the people here, and always
> > have, is whether this new program that "remembers being me" is fully me
> > if --- just as in the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus --- the "real"
> > me, i.e., the original brain, is then revealed to not have been destroyed at all,
> > but sequestered in a nearby hotel room.)
>
> So how does the program's status change if the original you is discovered?

Sorry, I just answered that in a post to Heartland. You can reply to any of
that which seems inconsistent or potentially so.

> Or how would you feel any different if it were revealed to you that, without
> your knowledge, a copy of you had been made and was living in China for
> the past year?

It would not affect the status of the California Lee one iota!  Actually (as I
said to Heartland), it would be gratifying to know that I was getting runtime
in China as well as here.   Of course, if the life there was not worth living,
then I'd be unhappy that the 2006 China duplication had occurred.

Also, if it now turned out that China Lee has been immediately drafted
into the People's Democratic Army and subjected to such profound
change (like having to learn Chinese and having to become an Army-type
and having to completely forget my life here and having utterly no time to
do the things I used to do or think about the things I used to...) well, I
would not be *unhappy* that China Lee lives.  Better he lives (for him)
than he doesn't live, but by now he's possibly no longer like me at all.

Lee