[extropy-chat] Robert Wright: How cooperation (eventually) trumps conflict

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Apr 15 15:52:23 UTC 2007

At 10:27 AM 4/14/2007 -0700, Jef wrote:
>I just discovered this video (posted 2007-01) of Robert Wright arguing
>the arrow of morality more concretely and (I hope) more persuasively
>than I do.
>
><http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/68>

It's mordantly funny. But a friend makes the following cautionary comments:

<It's true that things will get better and for many of the reasons he
cites.  But it's all so dumbed-down...  His 'business class' example
is laughable.  As a butler, I've stood by listening to the business
class fliers of the world talking openly about destabilising the
economy of an African country in order to firm up access to the
silver supply.  And the way they talked of it, and its broad
acceptance, signified to me that it wasn't unusual.  Arms dealers
also think of themselves as reasonable people.  These people don't
speak of other nations as less than human, but they act as if they
are.  Is that progress?  Merely hypocrisy.>

I think that's going too far. But the relationships involved are
still far too close to the colonial and imperial.

Damien Broderick