[extropy-chat] Anarchy?

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Thu Apr 19 23:51:45 UTC 2007

On 4/19/07, A B <austriaaugust at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Jef wrote:
>
> "> I'd be in favor of a system of anarchy promoting
> > increasingly
> > effective cooperation.  Does that count?"
>
> I suppose (at this stage) it would depend on whether
> or not that promotion took the form of enforced laws.
> Based on our ongoing discussions I'm currently
> presuming that it would (but please correct me if I'm
> mistaken). The type of Anarchy I was thinking of was a
> true absence of laws, but I'm certainly interested in
> hearing any variations.

Laws?  Laws?!  We don't need no steeeeenking laws!

To the extent that we are mutually and effectively aware of our values
and mutually and effectively aware of methods of promoting them.
(Which includes methods of discouraging free-riders, some minimal
level of administration, etc.)

Note that I'm not as idealistic as that may appear, since both of
these domains of awareness entail a huge (and increasing) amount of
complexity, currently encoded into our biological and cultural
representations of "what's right" and "what works."

But I believe that it is to our co-evolutionary advantage to make
these systems as frictionless as possible, thus anarchy.

- Jef