[extropy-chat] Insults in Posts

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Apr 26 17:36:37 UTC 2007

At 12:59 PM 4/26/2007 -0400, JKC wrote:

> > Nothing I know of is *objectively* stupid.
>
>Then tell me something that is subjectively stupid, that is, tell me
>something you think is stupid.

I take it that Lee is saying "stupid" is a word (an offensive,
insulting word) applying to someone whose assessed intelligence is
especially low, but not applicable to a belief, opinion, claim,
action, etc. Jack, a mentally retarded human, can be called "stupid"
but not his habit of wearing a huge bunch of random keys hanging from
his belt in emulation of his custodians.

This usage advice goes against common practice:

< Stupidity is the quality or condition of being stupid, or lacking
intelligence. This quality can be attributed to both an individual
himself (John Smith is stupid) or his actions, words or beliefs (John
Smith's policies are stupid).
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stupid>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stupid >

Damien Broderick