[extropy-chat] Democracy is a lie

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 06:50:25 UTC 2007

On 4/27/07, ben <benboc at lineone.net> wrote:

> "Stathis Papaioannou" <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >In Australia, you get fined if you don't vote.
>
> <snip>
>
> >And I see nothing wrong with this.

The "<snip>" changes the context. What I meant was that I see nothing wrong
with the fact that *mentally ill* people are treated the same as anyone else
as regards voting. For the most part, the mentally ill are aware of their
interests to the extent that they might vote for a party that will improve
public housing and access to public psychiatry, for example. After all,
stupid, apathetic and ignorant people get to vote. On the rare occasion that
a mentally ill person votes under instructions from the voices in his head,
I doubt that the voices would have a preference for one party over another,
so it would be equivalent to an informal vote or a donkey vote.

(Yes, in Australia not only the mentally ill but also donkeys get to vote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_voting).

Stathis Papaioannou