[extropy-chat] How to be copied into the future?

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 11:12:13 UTC 2007

> On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 08:43:13PM -0400, Heartland wrote:
> > I hear this kind of argument all the time. What you're saying here does
> not really
> > question the fact that flat EEG means death. You merely observe that you
> find no
>
> For the benefit of everyone who is not Slawomir: only sustainable flat EEG
> means death.
>
> I wonder what would happen if we'd anaesthesize Slawomir in his sleep,
> induced a heart arrest and waited a couple minutes after resuscitation.
> Or merely sedated both his hemispheres, making them transiently
> electrically
> silent (a much softer approach).
>
> Then, after several months and years we'd tell him. What would be
> his reaction?

We wouldn't need to go to such drastic lengths. Commonly used anaesthetics
such as thiopentone and isoflurane cause flat EEG traces, a pattern called
"burst suppression". So unless you want to bite down on a piece of wood
while the surgeon takes your appendix out, you are going to end up dying and
an impostor with your memories will take your place after the operation.

Stathis Papaioannou