[extropy-chat] How to be copied into the future?.

Randall Randall randall at randallsquared.com
Sat Apr 28 23:10:21 UTC 2007

On Apr 28, 2007, at 8:58 AM, Lee Corbin wrote:
> Randall writes
>> [Lee wrote]
>> Again, histories and memories are distinct: history
>> involves the process by which the physical memories
>> were constructed, while memories are merely content.
>
> Let me see if I understand. The historical process by which
> you in 2007 came to be is the traditional one:  birth, raised
> by parents, school, etc.  But if we authoritatively told you
> that this was all a lie, and that you had been raised as a part
> of a government experiment, that you indeed did not exist
> before 2005, that all your memories were implanted and
> false, that your consciousness came into true focus only
> last week---would you, given that you substantiate these amazing
> claims---suppose that you are not the person that you thought you
> were?

Of course.  I thought I was the person who had those
pre-2005 experiences, but after substantiating that I
wasn't, it seems tautological that I'm someone else!

That doesn't mean that I would value myself any less
than before; just that it would change my perception
of who I am.

> (My answer to that is this:  Oh, I'm still Lee Corbin all right.
> My actual history doesn't too strongly affect what is important
> to me, how I want the rest of my life to continue indefinitely,
> my values, and my friendships (given that all the people who
> I am close to had arisen via similar government experimentation
> and that their memories were as false as mine).

I actually don't disagree with any of the above.

>> Heartland (I think) (and certainly I [Randall]) believes that
>> it's the process which is a person, not the content.
>> That said, he and I differ on what constitutes "the
>> process", since I don't think suspending electrical
>> activity in the brain necessarily ends it.
>
> But the logical ramification of your (not Heartland's) belief
> is that if you were replaced by a copy that we made ten
> minutes ago, your number would be up, you'd be dead, and this other
> Randall who is not you would inherit your
> life. Right?

Assuming "replaced" is a euphemism for "killed and replaced",
yes.

--
Randall Randall <randall at randallsquared.com>
"Is it asking too much to be given time [...]