[ExI] free-will, determinism, crime and punishment

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 21 13:51:14 UTC 2007

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 04:33:34 -0400, Michael M. Butler <mmbutler at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Am I hallucinating, or is someone seriously proposing -- more than
> once -- that nonlethal deterrence of criminal behavior including
> punishment works and is somehow appropriate, but that capital
> punishment is bad and isn't justified... ...without, apparently,
> noticing that the threat of capital punishment juuuust miiight have a
> deterrent effect on some people?

As I mentioned to Lee, it is very controversial whether capital punishment
deters homicide better than prison sentences. In fact there is evidence to
support the hypothesis that it has the opposite effect. Some researchers
theorize that capital punishment has a 'brutalization' effect on society
in those states in which it is legal, an effect which could encourage more
homicide than otherwise by cheapening the perceived value of human life.
And unlike any other kinds of punishment, there can of course be no hope
of rehabilitating a criminal by killing him.

In other words, deterrence and rehabilitation are weak arguments for
capital punishment. It's mostly about retribution.

-gts