[ExI] META: Re: free-will, determinism, crime and punishment

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Aug 23 08:26:41 UTC 2007

On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 05:27:56PM -0400, gts wrote:

> It's interesting to me that in what I would call the good old days of this
> list, some number of years ago, people here were free to discuss pretty

The good old days of this list were when the list was closed, in 1980/90s.
I wasn't there at the time, unfortunately. People who were say it's been
great.

> much whatever they wanted to discuss. The only requirement seemed to be
> that the issue be of importance to people of an intellectual bent. I

Only for very small values of intellectual bent, I'm afraid.

> insist that the philosophy of justice is one of those issues, Eugen, even
> if *to you* it might not seem important.
>
> I'm sure you're a good guy, Eugen, but hate to you tell ya': this list is
> not all about what you happen to think is important.

I think good threads are important. This is not a good thread, though.

> I'm not happy that this list went from unmoderated to moderated. Your

I'm also not happy. It's a lousy job, but someone's got to do it.

> moderator policies sometimes force me to look for other places to find
> intelligent discussion of the things that interest me. Problem for me is,
> intelligent discussion is pretty hard to found outside of ExI.

Which tells us we should all aspire to higher standards.