[ExI] [Empathy] Daniel Goleman: Why aren’t we all Good Samaritans? - TED Talks

x at extropica.org x at extropica.org
Thu Dec 20 17:16:40 UTC 2007

On expanding our context of self-identification.  In contrast with the
western misconception of the virtue of becoming more self-less, it's
about identifying with a larger, more encompassing self.

"Daniel Goleman, author of Emotional Intelligence, asks why we aren't
more compassionate more of the time. Sharing the results of
psychological experiments (and the story of the Santa Cruz Strangler),
he explains how we are all born with the capacity for empathy -- but
we sometimes choose to ignore it."

<http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/200>