[ExI] ARTS: Transhumanism + Play/Games - Spain Conference 2008

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Thu Dec 20 17:39:31 UTC 2007

Friends,

I have been invited to give a talk and presentation on
transhumanism/posthumanism and play at LABoral Centre for Art and
Industrial Creation (Gijon, Spain).  I invite you to collaborate with
me on the presentation.  I was thinking of creating a "play" off of
the Turning Point project with humor.  But I welcome you ideas.  We
can make this as outrageous as we like.  The only limits are $$, but
let's not worry about that for now.

Here is the brief synopsis of the conference:

HOMO LUDENS LUDENS
Locating play in contemporary culture and society

"Under the title HOMO LUDENS LUDENS, LABoral Centre for Art and
Industrial Creation, has planned for the upcoming April an exhibition
and an international conference wishing to explore play as a
principal element in today's world and to analyze its importance in
the different sides of our lives. Following the exhibition of
GAMEWORLD that reflected the different sides and perspectives of the
gaming creativity developed by artists nowadays and PLAYWARE that
highlighted the playful and social character of interactive art,
LABoral now wishes to set the setting that will embrace these data
and will take a step even further by looking into the notion of play
as it has evolved in our digital times.

Play changes and evolves throughout the conditions of each era. Being
a point of analysis and reference for scholars throughout the
different times, we can easily trace its continuous role and
significance for the various sectors of human civilization. Coming to
our days, the multifaceted character of play has shaped a truly
interdisciplinary approach leading to specialized research areas,
applications and expressions with different aims and functions.

So, what is play today? It surely is still a source of joy and
enjoyment; but not only. It also is a powerful tool for our society
serving educational, scientific and social purposes. It is an
activity but also a platform that builds relationships, forms
networks and affects identities; play is an object of exploitation -
in the web 2.0 era, what better way is there than to gain profit from
people's creativity?"

Email me if you want to collaborate!  natasha at natasha.cc

Natasha

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha <http://www.natasha.cc/>Vita-More
PhD Candidate, Planetary Collegium - University of Plymouth - Faculty
of Technology
School of Computing, Communications and Electronics
Centre for Advanced Inquiry in the Interactive Arts

If you draw a circle in the sand and study only what's inside the
circle, then that is a closed-system perspective. If you study what
is inside the circle and everything outside the circle, then that is
an open system perspective. - Buckminster Fuller