[ExI] Asteroid on track for possible (probability of 1:25) Marshit

Kevin H kevin.l.holmes at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 01:28:32 UTC 2007

Not to interrupt your discussion, but it seems to me that detection is
probably of much greater importance than deflection at this stage of the
game, given that our ability to deflect an asteroid, comet, or other NEO is
directly proportional to the amount of advanced warning we have that a
strike is imminent or probable.  My idea is a solar-system wide network of
space telescopes, whether they be optical, radio, x-ray or other radiation,
to improve our detection rates and so we don't have to depend so much on
earth-based telescopes.  What really strikes me is that we didn't even learn
about this asteroid until late November, and it just shows how blind we are
to such objects.

Sorry to interrupt, the question on what to do with such an object when we
find it is also interesting and valuable.  I just wanted to put my two cents
in.

Kevin