[extropy-chat] Energy & Global Warming [was: Partisans and EP]

Anders Sandberg asa at nada.kth.se
Sun Feb 11 23:53:20 UTC 2007

spike wrote:
> Cool calculation Anders!  The neutrons that are captured hafta be much
> lower
> energy than MeV if I understand the process correctly.

Yes, I just checked up the physics. They have to be thermalized by several
bounces down to 0.025 eV, which produces a speed of 2.2 km/s. At that
speed they have a big cross-section. Still, the speed is three orders of
magnitude larger than the movement of the nuclei, so I see no problem with
sloshy targets.

> And those comments about Israel being wiped off the map probably don't
> help.

But see it from the bright side: GWB is no longer the worst diplomat on
the map!

--
Anders Sandberg,
Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics