[extropy-chat] Cold Fusion Survey

Ben Goertzel ben at goertzel.org
Tue Feb 13 17:08:39 UTC 2007

Some comments on your survey:

1)
Judging by his replies, Clark obviously did not take time to review and
understand the questions you asked.

2)
Also, in future, when doing assessments like this, it may be interesting
to ask people how much time/effort they have spent evaluating the issue
in question, as a measure of the "weight of evidence" underlying their
estimates.  All else equal, I generally will value someone else's
estimate more if it is based on a larger amount of study on their part.

In theory, people should factor this into their own estimates -- e.g. if
they give an interval estimate, the interval width should narrow as they
accumulate more evidence.  But some people might be better at estimating
the mean of their estimated pdf than the interval width, in which case
one may accept their mean but consider their estimated "subjective
weight of evidence" as a possible correction to their stated interval width.

-- Ben