[extropy-chat] Ning web2 network

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 18:25:12 UTC 2007

<http://today.reuters.com/News/ArticleBlog.aspx?type=technologyNews&w1=B7ovpm21IaDoL40ZFnNfGe&w2=B82x9Ksc5UNVzDjpITcIrRbi&src=blogBurst_technologyNews&bbPostId=Cz28m6hltnbtBCzBMqbu8JE3r8BAdbWX6NMG4pB3slwn4HbRUw>

Ning can be used to create a fully functional and customized social
network in minutes.
The first step after naming and describing the new application is drag
and drop desired modules- such as text boxes, RSS feeds, photos,
forums, blogs and videos - into the application in the area you want
them.

<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2098661,00.asp>

Users within each Ning network can select the latest Web features for
watching videos online, creating a photo slideshow, listening to music
or publishing a blog. Members have far greater flexibility over the
look of their personal profile pages, buddy lists and site color
schemes.

"Other social network sites ask you to join their world. We are about
people creating their own worlds," said Ning Chief Executive Gina
Bianchini, who co-founded Ning with Andreessen.

Ning FAQ
<http://www.ning.com/help/#howDoIGetStarted>

Can I make my new social network private?
Absolutely. When you create your social network, you can decide to
make it either public and available to everyone or private and members
only. It's up to you.

The service is free, at present.
When you create your free social network on Ning, we run ads on the
right hand side of every page to support the service. That's our main
source of income.

(But Adblock Plus removes the ads, if you don't want to see them).

This looks like something that transhumanists could easily create.
Both a private network for members only and a public network for
spreading the word.

It would probably need a list moderator to get involved so that
invites could be sent to list members.

BillK