[extropy-chat] Sasha is alive!

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Jan 3 20:17:13 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 07:32:38PM +0000, ben wrote:

> Surely, if this sort of resurrection is ever possible, it would result
> not in just one individual, but a whole range of them? (probably a huge
> number of them).

Yes -- if it was possible. Giving effectively infinite resources.
Not in this universe.

> Of course, we can leave it as an exercise for those given to perpetual
> pointless pondering to determine which one is the 'real' Sasha :>

If you can't even tell whether you succeeded, you clearly haven't.
But of course good enough is good enough for external observers,
who're already content with the rough person region.

> Eugen said: "people should look into life extension first, and cryonics
> second".
>
> I'm wondering - are there any other options? Everyone seems to assume

You die right now -- what are your other options? (Nevermind
the handicap of starting with a day's or two worth of normothermic
ischemia).

> these two are the only ones: Either keep going in your present form as
> long as possible, using drugs, CR, etc., or dying and getting preserved

If you keep going on in your present form your options are only getting
more, not less. So it's a really good idea to keep ticking on.

> in some useful way in the hope of future reconstruction/uploading.

If you're no longer capable of going on, your only option is preserving
as much as possible. Which means cryopreservation.

> I don't think that's enough choices! Has anyone thought of any others?

You don't have to like it for it to be true.